Visionary Entrepreneurial Practices (V.E.P.)
We believe in the power of the students of the Academy of Warren, therefore our mission is to actively engage K-8 students in a diverse, challenging learning environment that will prepare them for college, the workforce, and citizenship in a 21st Century global society.
Academy of Warren's Advisory Program is an important support program for every student and is embedded in the daily K-8 schedule. Advisory plays a central role in the school’s mission of equipping students to become literate, self-motivated, lifelong learners by providing a multi-cultural, student- centered environment in which all students will be held to high academic, moral and behavioral standards. While there is variety in the activities and events associated with the program, it remains grounded in a core set of goals and responsibilities.
The Advisor serves as a student’s primary advocate and plays a central role in ensuring that the student receives the necessary accommodations. Advisory also provides time for individual student-advisor conferences, grade review, and school announcements.
- To build community by creating small, family-like groups
- To support students and to develop their social, emotional, and academic abilities
- To engender trust and to create safe spaces for students and teachers
- To advocate for students and to facilitate communication between them, their families, and their teachers
- To have fun
The advisor is to serve as:
- A personal and academic support for students
- An advocate for advisees
- A source of information and answers
- A coach for students in need of strategies and suggestions
- A model of good behavior
The advisee is to be:
- Open and authentic in advisory
- Trusting in advisors and peers
- Caring and respectful of others
- Engaged and present during advisory
- Playful and willing to have fun
What is Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)?
According to Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL), social and emotional learning is the process of developing students' and adults' social and emotional competencies--the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors that individuals need to make successful choices. SEL helps make individuals understand and regulate their emotions, successfully complete goals, take others' perspective or point of view, develop positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
What needs can Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) address?
SEL is a universal approach for all students. The goal of SEL is to address the social and emotional needs individuals have to be successful in school and in life. Developing SEL skills improves student capacity to engage in academic learning and prepares students to meet college and career readiness standards. In order to participate in rigorous standards, students need to be able to regulate their emotions when they become frustrated, collaborate with their peers, communicate their ideas, and take the perspective of others. In addition, focusing on SEL skills decreases negative behaviors and student emotional distress.
What are the goals and primary student outcomes of Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)?
CASEL identifies five social and emotional competencies, which are composed of multiple skills and abilities:
- Self-awareness is the ability to recognize one's own feelings, interests, strengths, and limitations
- Self-management refers to when individuals regulate emotions and manage daily stressors
- Social awareness refers to perspective taking and to appreciate similarities and differences
- Relationship skills are when individuals exhibit pro-social behavior and demonstrate positive social skills in order to develop meaningful relationships
- Responsible decision making refers to when individuals make ethical decisions, and strengthen the ability to develop appropriate solutions to identified problems
Research demonstrates that when students participate in activities that focus on these competencies, behavior improves, negative behaviors decrease, and academic achievement improves.
Is the empowerment of students via the application of real world and technology skills allowing students to demonstrate their ability to change their environment, improve their own lives, impact their community and the world.
To assure that all students are provided the opportunity to participate in extra/co curricular activities. We envision a world where every student is enthused, see value, and empowered by such opportunities.
To enrich and enhance the educational goals of an AOW Students experience.
The AOW Connection
Students and Classes are submitting drawings for the Store Logo Contest!
$25 Gift Certificate for individual submissions
A classroom pizza party for group submissions!
To assure that all students are provided the opportunity to participate in extra/co curricular activities.
To provide supplemental funds to enhance the AOW student experience. All funds raised will have a direct and positive influence on AOW students life and educational experiences.
Fundraiser Order Sheets DistributedOct 5Fundraisers Calendar
Final Day for Orders (Orders Due)Oct 26Fundraisers Calendar
Fundraiser Product DeliveryNov 27Fundraisers Calendar